Estadio Antonio Vespucio Liberti Stadium, popularly known as Estadio Monumental, was inaugurated on 25 May 1938 near the Rio de la Plata river. It has been named in honour of the president of football (soccer) club River Plate to which the stadium was dedicated in 1986.
The work of architects Aslan and Ezcurra contains a good balance between geometry and technical aspects of the construction, namely four curved tribunes placed side by side that define an elliptical framework. This framework follows the geometrical rules of the historical Coliseum in Rome and has taken into account water pressures caused by the nearby river. The stadium contains a foundation of eight meters in depth.
The entire project was finished in the late fifties when the lowest part of the North stand was constructed together with a new ring of tiers that was placed on the existing ones. The new look of the stadium involves a continuous ring of concrete based on imposing supports emerging from the base.
© by Angelo Spampinato